Agriculture Technology Support System Advisor
Increasing Resilience to Climate Change and Natural Hazards Project
Terms of Reference
Position: Agriculture Technology Support System Advisor
Location: DARD, Tagabe, Port Vila, Vanuatu
Duration: 1 year
Expected date of Start: April 2014
The Vanuatu Meteorological and Geo-hazard Department (VGMD) and National Disaster Management Office (NDMO) have secured funding for a large-scale national adaptation and disaster risk reduction project designed to address Vanuatu’s immediate climate change adaptation needs and mitigate natural disaster risks.
The Agriculture Technology Support System Specialist will support the Vanuatu Department of Agriculture and the Project DARD Program Coordinator to set up a distribution system of improved agricultural technologies to support on-farm production and resilience to climate change. More specifically, the Specialist will look at how the Agriculture Department can become more effective and efficient in providing Extension Services, and devise a support strategy to enhance its capacity.
The successful applicant will have the following required qualifications:
- Advance Degree in Agriculture Sciences, Rural Sociology or related disciplines;
- Strong background in training of trainers;
- At least 10 years of experience in the field of agricultural extension in a developing country context;
- At least 5 years of experience in the Pacific region (or in small islands countries);
- Excellent writing skills, and ability to prepare clear, concise reports and presentations to a broad range of audiences;
- Excellent time management skills, with an ability to deliver high-quality outputs on time;
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills; and
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-sector team and to interact with partners of different background (communities, provincial works departments, NGOs, private sector, other donors and projects, Government agencies).
Further information and Terms of Reference are available from Connie Sewere at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested applicants should send their application letter, resume and name and current contact details of three referees to Connie Sewere via email or mail to VMGD, PMB 9054, Port Vila, Vanuatu, by 4:00pm Thursday 3rd of April, 2014.