World Ocean Day
Facts and Figures
· Our ocean covers over 70% of the globe. To date only a little over 1% of the ocean is protected.
· An estimated 50-80% of all life on earth is found under the ocean surface and the oceans contain 99% of the living space on the planet. Less than 10% of that space has been explored by humans.
· Tiny marine plants called phytoplankton release half of all oxygen in the atmosphere through photosynthesis.
· The oceans account for 96% of all the water on the surface of the Earth, the remainder being freshwater, in the form of rivers, lakes and ice.
· The ocean absorbs approximately 25% of the CO2 added to the atmosphere from human activities each year, greatly reducing the impact of this greenhouse gas on the climate.
· Total carbon deposits in coastal systems such as such as mangroves, salt marshes and seagrass meadows may be up to five times the carbon stored in tropical forests.