Vacancy SPC/GIZ Provincial Implementation Manager Choiseul Integrated Climate Change Programme
SPC/GIZ Provincial Implementation Manager
Choiseul Integrated Climate Change Programme
The Solomon Islands Government, Choiseul Province and several development partners including the Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC), Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme, United States Agency for International Development, Australian Aid and The Nature Conservancy are currently implementing the Choiseul Integrated Climate Change Programme (CHICCHAP). The aim of CHICCHAP is to increase the resilience of Lauru people and communities against the impacts of climate changeand threats of natural disasters, to enhance their food security and to strengthen the resilience of natural ecosystems in Choiseul.
Two key features of this programme are its emphasis on the integration and coordination of the activities of partners, stakeholders and resources to avoid duplications and minimize redundancies, and the management of natural resources from the Ridges (land) – Communities – Reefs to holistically address climate change challenges and improve livelihoods.
This position is designed to manage the technical and administrative operations of SPC/GIZ, coordinate partners’ activities in the Province, and provide technical advice and support to Choiseul Province on matters pertinent to climate change.
The Provincial Implementation Manager is responsible for:
1. Managing SPC/GIZ operations in Choiseul
· Manage and coordinate all operations of SPC/GIZ including but not limited to:
o planned outputs and outcomes
o community and provincial adaptation pilots,
o finances in accordance with GIZ financial regulations,
o local staff,
o public relations,
o reporting requirements
· Provide scientific and technical advice and lead the design, resourcing and implementation of adaptation pilots based on sound and best available and appropriate adaptation practices
· Manage the use of SPC/GIZ properties and equipment
· Perform other duties and tasks as and when requested by CCCPIR Director
2. Coordination of partners activities
· Coordinate all partners activities in line with the CHICCHAP Implementation Plan,
· Liaise and dialogue with local stakeholders including the Provincial Government and partners to ensure CHICCHAP activities are implemented without major hindrances
· Provide technical support and advice to the CHICCHAP Provincial Steering Committee
· Support partners to secure resources for CHICCHAP
3. Providing technical advice on making climate change adaptation relevant to Choiseul
· Advise Choiseul Province and local communities on matters (including projects) pertinent to climate change
· Lead/coordinate applied studies and apply findings to mainstream climate change adaptation into community and provincial development programmes
· Reports to CCCPIR Director on all matters regarding SPC/GIZ activities
· Directly supervises all SPC/GIZ staff based in Choiseul
· Reports to the Programme Advisory and Implementation Group and the Provincial Steering on all matters pertaining to the coordination of partners activities in Choiseul
· Graduate qualifications in appropriate field (chemistry, physics biology, environmental science, agriculture, forestry, development studies and geography)
· More than 4 years of experience in managing climate change adaptation or development projects
· 2-3 years experience in directly supervising staff and interns/trainees
Two years, subject to a satisfactory conclusion of the 6 months’ probationary period.
This will be a local contract.
CV and cover letter should be submitted electronically email@example.com by closing date of Friday 21st June, 2013.
Applicants who have previously applied for this position need not reapply