Senior Officer – Resilience Job Reference: CIV1812
CARE is an international humanitarian and development organisation fighting global poverty, with a vision to which focuses on empowering women and girls to fight poverty and bring lasting change to their communities. We work in over 80 countries around the world. We work with partners to achieve lasting results for marginalized communities.
CARE International in Vanuatu is implementing a multi year resilience program with funding from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, called Disaster Ready. Through this project CARE International in Vanuatu will advance inclusive, sustainable approaches to disaster preparedness and response from community to national level. The project will strengthen Community Disaster and Climate Change Committees in TAFEA province, so that they are able to independently plan and implement actions in preparation and response to disasters, and mobilise resources and support from government. It will strengthen coordination at provincial level in TAFEA, building accountability and enhancing participation of women, people with disability, and local CSOs in subnational preparedness and response. It will advance the Gender and Protection Cluster’s leadership in placing gender, disability and social inclusion at the centre of disaster preparedness and response in Vanuatu. This includes strengthening the participation of local CSOs in the cluster.
As part of this program implementation, we are looking for a Senior Officer Position to join the Team. The position requires around 50% of the time to be travelling in project locations in islands within Tafea Province, and occasional travel to other locations. The position will either be based in Port Vila or Tanna, and this will be confirmed after the interviews.
Your major responsibilities will be varied and will include:
- Leading on the effective Implementation of the Resilience program activities both through directly leading on activity implementation, and supervising a team of staff to undertake activities.
- Ensuring the effective delivery of project activities, achievement of expected results and indicators, that reporting is completed on time, and that all activities are conducted in line with CARE’s Code of Conducts.
- Supervisory role to Resilience officers ensuring direct reports and clear work plans.
- Acts as the gender and disability inclusion focal point for activities implemented under the Disaster Ready project.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Minimum Bachelor degree or at least 3 – 4 years experience working on disaster risk reduction, food security, gender or climate change projects, preferably in an NGO or government agency
- Passion for, and knowledge or resilience, climate change concepts, approaches, policies, actors and networks with a focus in Vanuatu and the Pacific
- Understanding of the community based development work and/or activity implementation
- Experience in developing training packages and supporting teams through a trainer of trainer approach
- Strong in English, written and verbal
- Excellent communications, facilitation and report writing skills
- Experience in developing and monitoring activity level budgets
- Computer skills including word and excel
- Willingness to travel within the islands in Tafea Province, and to spend extended periods in remote locations
- Demonstrated understanding of gender equality and women’s empowerment and a commitment to CARE’s approach and values including diversity and cultural sensitivity
- Demonstrated ability to respond effectively to challenges, to be flexible, and resilient as well as to work effectively in a small, diverse and busy team environment
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to create and foster collaborative and productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
In return for your commitment, you will benefit from ongoing professional development and a comprehensive benefits package.
To find out more about this rewarding opportunity please sent your cover letter and CV in English before 13 May 2018, quoting the reference ‘CIV1812’ as the subject of the email/letter
Mail: Port Vila Nelly Daniel Human Resource Coordinator, PO Box 1129 Port Vila Vanuatu
Tanna: Sylvain Malsungai Tanna Operations Coordinator, CARE office Isangel Tanna
Only successful candidates will be contacted for interview.