Resilience Program Manager - Job Reference: CIV1811
CARE is an international humanitarian and development organisation fighting global poverty, with a vision to which focuses on empowering women and girls to fight poverty and bring lasting change to their communities. We work in over 80 countries around the world. We work with partners to achieve lasting results for marginalized communities.
One of CARE’s main programs is the Resilience Program. This program primarily focuses on advancing inclusive, sustainable approaches to disaster preparedness and response from community to national level. The program includes activities to strengthen Community Disaster and Climate Change Committees in TAFEA province, so that they are able to independently plan and implement actions in preparation and response to disasters, and mobilise resources and support from government. It also aims to strengthen coordination at provincial level in TAFEA, building accountability and enhancing participation of women, people with disability, and local CSOs in subnational preparedness and response. The resilience program also includes work to address climate change and water needs of the community to strengthen their resilience.
The resilience program includes a number of sub projects that are designed to complement each other and contribute to CARE’s overall resilience programming. A core project under the Resilience Program is the 4.5 year Disaster Ready Project, funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
As part of implementation, we are looking for a Resilience Program Manager Position to join our Resilience Team based in Port Vila with travel required to other sites.
Your major responsibilities will be varied and will include:
- Provides senior level leadership and management across the Resilience program including a passion for DRR and CCA and a commitment to CARE’s approach and values including gender equality, ethnic diversity and cultural sensitivity and inspire leadership on these issues through the CARE Vanuatu team.
- Managing and responsible for leading a team, program development, representation, financial accountability and management of a number of projects.
- Responsible for ensuring that all resilience team members are aware of the Emergency Preparedness Plan and are prepared to undertake their roles and responsibilities outlined in the plan, as well as supporting coordination and leadership during emergency responses.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Community, International Development or equivalent and/ or 5-7 years relevant work experience, preferably in community development activities and skills transfer, capacity strengthening preferably for an International Non-Government Organisation (INGO)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both Bislama and English
- Proven understanding of disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation in the Vanuatu context
- Demonstrated understanding of gender equality and a commitment to CARE’s approach and values including ethnic diversity and cultural sensitivity
- Responsible for the management of the Resilience Program technical function, with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated experience in effectively leading, people management and motivating a team
- Demonstrated strong leadership, decision making, problem solving, planning, analytical and influencing skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and monitor budgets and to manage cash
- Demonstrated experience in effectively leading, people management and motivating a team;
- Ability to work under pressure and to organise and manage workload to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated honesty, maintaining confidentiality, reliable and trustworthy
- Representational skills including developing networks and relationships with other key stakeholders
- Proven understanding of working with an International Non-Government Organisation (INGO) and a willingness to learn about CARE, gender equality and women’s empowerment activities
- Fully conversant in Microsoft Office with knowledge in Microsoft Word and Excel.
In return for your commitment, you will benefit from ongoing professional development and a comprehensive benefits package.
To find out more about this rewarding opportunity please sent your cover letter and CV in English before 13 May 2018, quoting the reference ‘CIV1811’ as the subject of the email/letter
Mail: Port Vila Nelly Daniel Human Resource Coordinator, PO Box 1129 Port Vila Vanuatu
Tanna: Sylvain Malsungai Tanna Operations Coordinator, CARE office Isangel Tanna
Only successful candidates will be contacted for interview.