International Organization for Migration (IOM) Regional Programme Director
International Organization for Migration (IOM) Regional Programme Director
VACANCY NOTICE 2017- 01
OPEN TO INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CANDIDATES
- Duty Station: Port Vila, Vanuatu
- Position title: Regional Programme Coordinator
- Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term (with possibility of extension) – full time
- Classification: NO-A
- Estimated Starting Date: as soon as possible
- Reference Code: VN 2017-01
Under the overall programmatic and strategic guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM) – IOM Australia/Coordinator and Advisor for New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the Pacific, the direct supervision of the ACP-EU Migration Action Officer (AO) for the Pacific and Caribbean Region of the Regional Office (RO) in Brussels and the daily supervision of the IOM Head of Office (HoO) in Vanuatu, the incumbent will contribute to the successful implementation of the activities of the ACP-EU Migration Action (hereafter referred to as the “Action”) in the Pacific, including liaison, coordination, reporting to the Action team in Brussels, and constant monitoring of activities and evaluation of their impact.
The ACP-EU Migration Action Programme Coordinator for the Pacific will be based at the IOM Office in Port Vila, Vanuatu and will be responsible for activities undertaken under the Action in the following ACP countries of the Pacific Region: Nauru, Vanuatu, Fiji, Cook Islands, Kiribati, Niue, Palau, Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu, Federated States of Micronesia, Timor-Leste, Marshall Islands, Papua New Guinea, and Solomon Islands.
- Maintain fluid channels of communication with Governments and Regional Organizations of the above mentioned ACP Pacific countries, so that the activities of the Action are successfully implemented in these countries, in close coordination with the AO in Brussels, the HoO in Vanuatu and the Coordinator and Advisor for the Pacific in Canberra.
- Contribute to raising awareness of the Governments of the ACP Pacific countries and their Regional Organizations about the various types of support available through the Action on selected issues (visa, readmission, remittances, trafficking in human beings and smuggling of migrants), in close coordination with the AO in Brussels, the HoO in Vanuatu and the Coordinator and Advisor for the Pacific in Canberra.
- Provide guidance and technical support to national Governments/Regional Organizations in the development of technical assistance requests and to Non State Actors for the implementation of initiatives funded under this Action;
- Support the effective management and monitoring of the activities of the Action in the Pacific region, closely coordinating and collaborating with the Action team in Brussels, by identifying risks, gaps and challenges prior to their rising, proposing viable solutions, administering monitoring formats and collecting inputs from stakeholders;
- Coordinate and organize in close cooperation with involved IOM Country Offices in the region, as well as with national authorities where IOM Country offices are not present, the visits of the experts/consultants of the Action, accompanying and supporting them in their first official meetings, ensuring follow up with the involved Government/Regional Organization and good coordination with IOM colleagues in the country, in the IOM Mission in Canberra and with the Action team in Brussels;
- Maintain fluid dialogue with the Non State Actors in charge of targeted projects for adequate follow-up and monitoring of the project’s implementation, in coordination with IOM Country Offices where present, including spot checks and ad hoc visits of the projects during their implementation phase;
- Provide on a daily and/or weekly regular basis progress reports to the Brussels-based Head of the Programme and the Action Officers on the activities under development/implementation;
- Systematically monitor expected outputs and results through dialogue with the beneficiary ACP Government, the relevant IOM Country Offices, the experts and consultants, the staff of the Action based in Brussels, the HoO in Port Vila and the IOM Office in Canberra, promptly informing the Action team in Brussels of any problem arising and proposing/coordinate corrective measures, when necessary;
- Support the organization of peer-to-peer exchange meetings with beneficiaries of the Action and coordinate the participation of stakeholders from the Pacific region involved in activities of the Action in meetings convened in the framework of the programme;
- Participate in meetings and events, travelling when necessary and as requested by the Head of the Programme, and contribute with information, presentations, overviews, etc., as requested by the Action team in Brussels;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Head of the Programme.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management; e) plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA);
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- k) Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance action objectives;
- Correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global, and political context;
- Delivers on set objectives.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
Education and Experience:
- Completed advanced university degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Political or Social Science, International Relations and/ or Law or Bachelor degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience in the field of international migration and project development, management, and evaluation;
- Sound knowledge of migration issues with specific understanding of regional trends and issues;
- Proven record of establishing and maintaining good working relationships with governmental and diplomatic authorities, national, regional and international institutions as well as civil society actors in countries of the Pacific Region;
- Demonstrated regional knowledge and experience in providing technical assistance to governments/CSOs;
- Excellent level of computer literacy.
Fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of local relevant languages are an asset.
IOM encourages applications from qualified female applicants.
Please be advised this is a local position and as such only applications from candidates with a valid residence / working permit for Vanuatu will be considered.
Method of Application:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to email@example.com by 18 June 2017at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: http://australia.iom.int
Please submit your resume and a cover letter no more than one page specifying the motivation for application.
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Posting Period: From May 17, 2017 to June 18, 2017